MSE in ECE with a concentration in Software Engineering
WANT TO LEARN MORE?
Available onsite just one consecutive Friday and Saturday per month.
The Master's in Software Engineering addresses the demand for influential software engineers who have an expansive understanding of a variety of critical software engineering topics.
The program’s curriculum provides you with the ability to better analyze and design software systems through course offerings such as software requirements, architectural design, verification and validation, and security networks. Throughout the program, you develop a thorough understanding of the technology utilized to enhance these software engineering systems and how to implement this knowledge into your own career practices.
This 30-credit hour program can be successfully completed in just two years while continuing to work full-time. You will learn how to better analyze and design software systems from world-renowned professors and will acquire the tools needed to better lead and manage software projects. With this degree, you will be prepared to move into advanced software project management positions or engineering leadership roles and successfully control the direction of your next career move.
Why Software Engineering at UT - Austin
Here at The University of Texas at Austin we take pride in our world-renowned professors who work to teach students in a collaborative environment giving them the skills they need to tackle real world problems in ways that no other institution can match. The Cockrell School of Engineering is ranked among the nation’s top 10 engineering programs and is the number one ranked engineering program in the state of Texas. Located in the heart of Austin, UT is surrounded by an environment that encourages creativity and innovation. Students here have opportunities to attend conferences that make an impact on a global scale, join student organizations and get involved in other events that UT and the City of Austin have to offer. A Master’s Degree from UT will enhance your skills in the marketplace, prepare you for new careers and challenges and spark your desire to discover.
“The Cockrell School of Engineering’s Center for Lifelong Engineering Education continues to inspire and advance the professional growth of engineers worldwide. Leading practitioners and internationally-renowned faculty provide results-based learning that is immediately applicable in the workplace.”
- Dean Sharon L. Wood, Cockrell School of Engineering
- Tailored for busy schedules
- Two-year program provides the opportunity to pursue a master’s degree while working full-time
- Graduates receive the same Master of Science Engineering Degree awarded by the traditional, full-time graduate program.
- Courses taught by top-ranked Cockrell School of Engineering faculty.
- Acquire the knowledge and tools to deliver robust-advanced, on-time, and in-budget software systems
- Design, construct, analyze, test, deploy, and maintain software systems using state-of-the-art and state-of-the-practice methods and tools.
- Learn key proficiencies in current and emerging software system technology and gain the ability to better manage software projects
- The Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts that the demand for engineering managers will grow 8% by 2018, leading to increased opportunities in industries such as aerospace, defense, transportation, energy, and biomedical engineering.
- According to the American Society for Engineering Education, more than 41,000 engineering master’s degrees were awarded during 2008-09, up 6.8% from the prior year. This trend shows no signs of slowing down. The enrollment for 2009-10 rose another 7%.
Who Should Apply
Applicants should have an undergraduate degree in electrical or computer engineering, or related technical field and at least 12 months of industry experience is preferred. This degree is relevant to software engineers looking to stay competitive by developing new technical skills; to those who want to get a leg-up in their careers; and for students who want to foster innovation by keeping up with emerging software trends and technologies.