Design of Floating Production Systems
April 27 – May 1, 2020
Unfortunately, this year's course has been canceled. Keep an eye out for 2021 dates.
|Date(s)||April 27 – May 1, 2020|
|Time(s)||Monday - Friday
8:30 am – 4:15 pm (Mon, 4/27/20 and Fri 5/3/20 begins at 8:00 AM)
|Instructor(s)||Spyros Kinnas (Faculty-in-Charge), Ashish Budhiraja, Brian Cheater, Robert Gilbert, Stephen Hodges, Sergio Jaramillo, John Kenney, Thomas Kwan, Steven Leverette, Robert Little, Richard Mercier, Oriol Rijken|
Early Registration ends March 2, 2020
|Location|| Engineering Education and Research Center (EERC)
Austin, TX 78712
Map and Directions
This course is a must for professionals seeking understanding of the design and construction of floating platforms. Taught through a combination of lectures and discussion, you will gain a complete understanding of the fundamental design process and modern design practices in this field. Design principles are applied to ensure functionality and safety of various types of floating offshore structures, including tension leg platforms, semi-submersibles and FPSO’s. In addition, the theory and current practical engineering methods in relation to the design and construction of floating platforms will be covered. The final result of this course is real-world knowledge of the complete design process that you can apply immediately in the workplace.
Tentative and Subject to Change Course Agenda
- Structural Concept: Design Considerations; Operation, Fabrication and Installation; Function and Safety; Economic and Time Constraints
- Environmental Loads and Motions: Environmental Conditions; Wave Drift Forces and Movements; Wind and Current Loads
- Buoyancy and Stability: Current Codes; Intact and Damage Stability; Recent Code Developments
- Structural Strength: Standards and guidelines; Design Loads; Hull and Deck Design
- Catenary Mooring System: Concepts and Equipment; Design and Operational Requirements; Mooring Forces
- Tension-leg Mooring System: Concepts, Components and Equipment; Design and Operational Requirements; Sea Load and Seismic Effects
- Foundations Conventional Anchors: Gravity, Piles, Suction Anchors
- Reliability and Safety Engineering: Reliability Analysis; Risk Analysis
- Semi-submersibles Design: Operational Requirements; Design Parameters; Sizing, Stability Requirements; Seakeeping Motions; Wind, Current and Wave Forces; Station Keeping, Mooring and DP Systems
- Tanker Based FPSOs: Hull, Topsides, Mooring
Who should attend
Engineers (BS holders) who work in the offshore industry and wish to receive a comprehensive overview of the fundamentals and practical aspects of offshore structures. Best suited to new or recent hires or those who aspire to work in the offshore industry.
Dr. Spyros Kinnas. For technical information please contact Dr. Kinnas at email@example.com.
Participants are strongly encouraged to register for both offshore courses for a comprehensive treatment of the subject matter. It is strongly recommended that participants have completed the Fundamentals of Offshore Structures and Design of Fixed Offshore Platforms course first before they register for this course. Participants who wish to take this course first should check with the faculty in charge before registering and should have completed course work (as part of a BS or higher degree in engineering) or have familiarity (through work experience) on the subjects of wave mechanics, hydrodynamics, structural analysis, and geotechnical mechanics.
Electronic materials will be provided for this course so participants need to bring a laptop. A hard copy version of the materials may be purchased at additional cost.
"The stability and overall load design concept delivered by the expert faculty staff was impressive!" - Madeline Kramer
"All instructors are willing to answer questions and explain things thoroughly." - past participant
"Very informative, instructive. Great presentation of subject matter. The exercises in the course made understanding the subject matter better, as well as the use of model pieces of mooring components." - Larry Abraham
For a list of local hotels, click here.