Lean Six Sigma Black BeltMarch 18 – 22 (week 1) and April 22 - 26 (week 2), 2019
Learn to tie organizational goals to Define-Measure-Analyze-Improve-Control project steps and practice applicable skills for the role of a process improvement team leader.
|Date(s)||March 18 – 22 (week 1) and April 22 - 26 (week 2), 2019|
|Time(s)||8:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday through Thursday, 8:00 am - 12:00 pm Friday|
|Instructor(s)||Forrest Breyfogle III|
Early Registration Fee (ends March 4, 2019): $4,500
Software Needed: Minitab 18**
Fee Includes: Breakfast, lunch, refreshments, project coaching from the instructor, verification of Continuing Education Units (CEUs) earned, instructional materials, and the following reference texts:
To attain full course Continuing Education Credits (CEU's) through the University of Texas at Austin and Lean Six Sigma Certification from Smarter Solutions, each participant must complete the following:
These requirements demonstrate a working knowledge of the subject matter and ability to effectively apply the materials. These abilities align with our vision to deliver world-class continuing education, go above and beyond other nationally recognized "certification" requirements, and promote our core values and standards of excellence; Learning, Discovery, Freedom, Responsibility, Leadership, and Individual Opportunity.
Smarter Solutions will provide its Lean Six Sigma certification after satisfactory completion of the classroom training and the application-of-concepts project. Additionally, this course aligns with the IASSC/ASQ body of knowledge and prepares students effectively for materials covered in accredited tests for nationally recognized certification. Should students wish to pursue a third party certification at an additional cost, please refer to IASSC or ASQ website for instructions.
|Location||The University of Texas at Austin
Engineering Education and Research Center (EER)
Austin, TX 78712
Map and Directions
|Frequency||This is a recurring course! Please contact your Event Program Coordinator, RaDell Gibbs, for tentative future dates.|
This two-week course over two months is designed for individuals to incorporate a strong understanding of the lean Six Sigma DMAIC process improvement methodology. One does not need to have a previous lean Six Sigma Green or other belt certification to attend this training.
Lean Six Sigma Black Belts lead improvement projects in their organizations, train team members, and assist their teams with complex data analysis. The curriculum of this course delves into the soft skills needed to manage change and expands upon the tools and techniques of the Define-Measure-Analyze-Improve-Control (DMAIC) cycle as an enterprise-level system. In addition, many students have stated that the concepts taught in this course takes lean Six Sigma to its next level; i.e., the course content is lean Six Sigma 2.0.
Instructors will discuss a roadmap of how to navigate a data-driven system that helps align and execute projects to produce significant bottom line results. With a focus on developing project execution and change management initiatives, Lean Six Sigma Black Belt candidates master the practical application of statistical and non-statistical concepts through case studies, data sets derived from real business issues, hands-on exercises, lectures, videos, homework assignments, and follow-up projects.
Instruction references the concepts in a 5-book series that describes the application of lean Six Sigma tools not only at the improvement project level but business management system as well. Much of the body of knowledge for lean Six Sigma references these books. These books can be utilized long after the training; i.e., students receive much more than a deck of slides from their lean Six Sigma training.
Upon completion of the course and an initial DMAIC project with coaching from the instructor, participants will be able to understand the dynamics of their team members, organizational culture, processes, metrics, and infrastructure. Participants will also receive certification after successfully completing their project report, which will illustrate the learning objectives mastered in the course. Whether an improvement project is Lean focused, blended Lean and Six Sigma focused, or purely Six Sigma focused, our comprehensive learning model will give participants the skills they need to lead successfully.
Key Learning Objectives:
- Apply the lean Six Sigma process improvement phases of Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, and Control (DMAIC) to their work environment.
- Track performance metrics so that a predictive statements can be made for not only a process improvement project metrics’ baselining but business performance measurement scorecards as well.
- Identify organizational process improvement performance measurement opportunities for project creation so that when a process enhancement effort is completed the business as a whole benefits.
- Effectively use analytical tools when assessing a process that is to be improved to gain insight to where process enhancement efforts should focus so that there will later be an enhancement in the process-output response.
- Utilize an enhanced, detailed DMAIC roadmap that structurally integrates lean and Six Sigma tools so that the right tool is used at the right time to improve a specific process-output’s response.
- Demonstrate the results of process improvement efforts statistically to management and others when a project’s 30,000-foot-level metric transitions to an enhanced level of predictive performance.
- Report the financial benefits of an improvement effort when the determined cost of doing nothing differently (CODND) before project initiation was reduced a lower level after project’s completion.
- Cultivation of soft skills including communication tools, leadership skills, and change management techniques.
- Exploration of the relationship between Lean Six Sigma improvement efforts, business goals, and strategies.
Benefits to you:
- Positively impact your organization’s performance metrics and bottom line results.
- Develop your project execution and change management skills through hands-on activities.
- Execute real projects using a detailed DMAIC (Define-Measure-Analyze-Improve-Control) roadmap.
- Receive mentoring on a real improvement project for your organization from an experienced instructor.
- Receive reference materials for use after the course to sustain long-term success.
- Comprehend concepts that exceed the ASQ standard body of knowledge.
Who should attend:
- Traditionally, the Belts are taken in order…. White, Yellow, Green, Black and Master Black Belt; but with this course you will not follow the traditional steps before you are enrolled into the Black Belt course. There are no pre-requisites for enrolling into our Lean Six Sigma Black Belt course – just come ready to learn! However, if you have received any Belt training from another source, please contact the conference coordinator with your previous training information so we can make sure you are positioned to succeed in this course.
- Participants will need Minitab 18 installed on their computer before the course begins, which they may purchase at a discounted rate when registering for the course. A Minitab software add-in will be provided and used during the training to enhance the ease and capabilities of performance metric reporting, at both the project and enterprise level.
This course is provided in partnership with:
"This was much better explaining what Six Sigma really is than other courses I attended."
-Artur Wilk, Problem Resolution Engineer, BorgWarner Turbo Systems
"I can recommend Smarter Solutions in Austin, TX with a great deal of confidence. I have evaluated many different alternatives and found Smarter Solutions' approach that closely links project selection to the drivers of the business makes the most sense. In addition, their level of expertise is outstanding - in fact, many alternative providers use on the text books written by Forrest Breyfogle, the Principal at Smarter Solutions. Good luck with your endeavor."
-Joseph Knecht, Vice President / Director - Quality & Continuous Improvement
"Smarter Solutions Inc. has more than exceeded my expectations in providing comprehensive training and mentoring for the deployment of a Lean Six Sigma program, the creation of a system that pulls for improvement projects that are truly tied to a business strategy, and the success execution of projects using a detailed roadmap that helps both novice and experienced practitioners."
-Antonio Neri, Vice President, HP Personal Systems Group, Americas Region, Total Customer Experience, Quality and Services
For a list of local hotels, click here.