Professional Growth, Development, and Networking
Enhance your understanding of models of leadership and how to create a professional development path as you transition to leadership roles.
This course is designed to enhance your understanding of the nature of leadership and followership, to facilitate deeper self-awareness of your existing leadership capabilities, and to equip you with a mindset and bias to act your way into further developing your identity as a leader as you navigate your professional growth and career development.
Emphasis in this course will be placed on understanding the importance of relationships in your personal and career development. As Margaret Wheatley notes, "Relationships are the pathways to the intelligence of the system. Through relationships, information is created and transformed, the organization’s identity expands to include more stakeholders, and the enterprise becomes wiser. The more access people have to one another, the more possibilities there are. Without connections, nothing happens."
By the end of the course, participants will leave with the following new knowledge and skills.
- Understand the transformative identity transition from engineer (individual contributor) to engineer (technical) leader to leader engineer.
- Understand implications of the Hedgehog concept as applied to your career and organization.
- View your development through the four essential capabilities of leadership model (sensemaking, relating, visioning, and inventing) as developed by Ancona, Orlakowski, Malone, and Senge (2007).
- Understand the paradox of authenticity as a leader.
- Reflect on your core personal values and character.
- Challenge your biases, and assumptions.
- Understand how to avoid the competency trap.
- Appreciate the diversity of those with different skills, cultures, or experiences.
- Understand the process of personal change, motivation, influence, and power.
- Recognize importance of reframing.
- Develop a bias for action by being more playful with your identity through the exploration of "provisional selves".
- Increase your levels of advocacy and inquiry.
- Conduct a personal network density assessment.
- Experiment and continue to build your network.
- Create a personal vision.
- Craft a narrative/story of who you are to share with others.
- Identify a path forward in exercising your capabilities as a leader.
Required textbook: Act Like a Leader, Think Like a Leader by Herminia Ibarra
|June 18 – 19, 2020||Online||$1,995|
Group Registration Fee: For groups of three or more participants, contact Program Coordinator to register.